 Off-Topic / Debate / 2401
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 00:02:05 GMT

Wrong?  I'd call it unsavory, but I wouldn't legislate against it.
Unless you mean they're addicting their customers by force.

or fraud. But of course I hold fraud to be a kind of force.

I know that Libertarians are into the Force 'n' Fraud phrase, and I
guess I mostly agree, but I know that while I can easily define force,
fraud isn't quite so easy.

In the case of drug dealers, is saying "hey, it isn't that bad for you,
just try it and see" fraud?  Is it fraud to sell it at a certain price
and raise the price once your customers are addicted?

I would say no.  It's still unsavory - and I would be very retributive
if someone duped a loved one that way - but I don't think it's fraud or
should be illegal.

You seem to imply
there's a difference between being 'wrong' and being 'unsavoury',
but I can't see any difference in principle - perhaps a small difference
of degree in that 'unsavoury' implies a smaller amount of wrongness.

Also, aren't you contradicting yourself here? If you don't see the
drug-dealing example being discussed as 'wrong' then how can
you possibly justify being retributive over it?

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com