 Off-Topic / Debate / 2400
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 18:54:19 GMT

Is insider trading fraud?  If it ever is, then how 'inside' does the
information being used have to be in order for it to be fraud?  If it's
always fraud, then why isn't it fraud for me to buy LEGO on sale and
resale at boosted price?

Well, I don't think most forms of what is currently defined as insider
trading actually are wrong. And if that doesn't set off a firestorm I
don't know what will.

(where I find insider trading wrong is where I know something damaging
and I exit my position before it becomes public knowledge, when I had a
fiduciary duty as an officer of the company to disclose it to
everyone... I'm OK with buying stock up in advance of the release of
good news.)

Hmm.  What about selling stock off in advance of the release of bad news?

This happened quite recently with Correl Corp... Shortly before they announced
lower than expected profits (dropping the stock price), the president sold off
1/3 of his shares... He saved himself a loss of ~7 million (IIRC)

I'm not sure where this falls myself...

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/