 Off-Topic / Debate / 2398
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:16:38 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

A few nits. Clarifications, really.

My making a profit isn't part of it being right...just as long as we
both/all agree to it it's right.

And as long as it doesn't violate the rights of others.

Well, I sort of meant that if everyone affected by the deal agrees to
it, then nothing else matters.  I assume you agree that you can waive
your rights if you so choose.

<what about selling drugs>

Wrong?  I'd call it unsavory, but I wouldn't legislate against it.
Unless you mean they're addicting their customers by force.

or fraud. But of course I hold fraud to be a kind of force.

I know that Libertarians are into the Force 'n' Fraud phrase, and I
guess I mostly agree, but I know that while I can easily define force,
fraud isn't quite so easy.

In the case of drug dealers, is saying "hey, it isn't that bad for you,
just try it and see" fraud?  Is it fraud to sell it at a certain price
and raise the price once your customers are addicted?

I would say no.  It's still unsavory - and I would be very retributive
if someone duped a loved one that way - but I don't think it's fraud or
should be illegal.

A few questions:

Does common sense have to do with the definition of fraud?  That is,
what an average person would believe.

Does one's belief in a statement's truth have to do with whether it is
fraud or not?

Is insider trading fraud?  If it ever is, then how 'inside' does the
information being used have to be in order for it to be fraud?  If it's
always fraud, then why isn't it fraud for me to buy LEGO on sale and
resale at boosted price?

Chris