 Off-Topic / Debate / 24003
Re: From Reason: "It's all bad news - Chaos in occupied Iraq"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 18:27:32 GMT

   On what basis do you declare these people to be psychotic, inhuman and irrational?

View the horrific video of these people screaming “Allah is the Greatest!” as one of them slowly slices off the head of an innocent human being and then holding up the severed head as a trophy and answer your own question.

   Is it because they go to extraordinary lengths to force others to accept their extremist religious doctrines?

“Extraordinary” doesn’t even begin to describe the degree to which they are willing to go.

   Is it because they kill innocent civilians in the name of a greater cause?

“Kill”? “Savagely butcher” might be a better.

   Is it because they act pre-emptively against foreign entities whom they deem to be threats?

No.

   The motivation of terrorists has to be our concern; if it is not, then we are embracing Dubya’s mad notion of an unwinnable (by definition) war on terror.

It must be winnable; the alternative is our destruction. Their motive is to establish Shariah over all the world. What don’t you understand about that?

   It is far too convenient to dismiss the views of one’s enemy as insane or inhuman.

Really? But what if that’s indeed what they are?

   That way, you spare yourself the trouble of considering whether any of those views have validity.

What if those views indeed have absolutely no validity?

   Instead of writing them off, why not consider their root?

Who cares? They are killing innocents, and are dedicated to continue the same. They do not deserve further consideration.

   Might it have something to do with the US’s overbearing and hair-trigger military presence in most of the world?

Perhaps, but then how would you explain their terrorism in other countries? It doesn’t, and the “US/Israel scapegoat” argument falls completely apart.

   Might it relate to the US’s fanatical support of every aggressive, anti-Palestinian policy that Israel creates?

Answer me this: How come you never hear of any Christian Palestinians blowing themselves up and killing innocent Israelis? They are just as “oppressed” as the Muslim Palestinians....

   Might it simply have something to do with the US’s rampant cultural colonialism?

Even if it were, how can the US government be held responsible for that? What would you suggest we do about it? We are a free society. They hate that and what it produces. TS.

   The United States has no moral authority to condemn any nation or entity for employing extreme tactics to force that entity’s agenda, even if that agenda directly opposes that of the US.

I reject your moral equivalence.

   We have shed more innocent blood in Afghanistan and Iraq than al Qaeda has shed in the entire world.

Well, they are 1 WMD away from evening the score and taking a big lead, and they are trying to do just that.

   We have no right to pretend that we are somehow above reproach or fit to judge.

We are not above reproach, but we do have the right to judge. You sound like an anarchist, Dave!

   Try to get this through your thick skull: they want everybody (not just the US) either to become one of them or die. That’s it.

Dubya has stated outright that countries must join the US or will be considered enemies. Would you like me to provide examples?

What he meant was that countries who harbor and abett terrorists, while not actively engaging in terrorism, are placing themselves in the crosshairs of the war against terrorism.

   The point is that you’re condemning terrorists for seeking to force the world to accept their doctrine, but you praise Dubya for his steadfast insistence that the world accept his doctrine.

BINGO! YES! OF COURSE I AM! Because their doctrine is oppression and tyranny, and Bush’s is Freedom and Liberty!

   The fact that you agree with one and disagree with the other is significant;

Damn right!

   Conservatives generally seem to have little problem with hegemonic, micromanaging regimes when those regimes coincide with the Conservatives’ agenda.

That is a separate issue. Suffice it to say that Conservatives want the spreading of Freedom and Democracy.

   What did you ever do to these people? And yet read this: http://dennisprager.com/destroyengland.html

I read that I am simply dumbfounded. That is what we are up against.

Have you examined anything by Anne Coulter, Mike Savage, Sean Hannity, or Rush Limbaugh since the advent of Dubya’s war on terror? They advocate violent aggression against Arabs simply because they’re Arabs.

Please. I have heard and read a lot from these individuals. Please cite (but I hope you are not talking about profiling).

   Do you condemn those media-saturating, extremist Right-wing demagogues as soundly as you condemn a few nearly anonymous Muslims?

I condemn ideas, not people. Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then-- even Al Franken (although it’s hard for him to make points with his foot in his mouth)

JOHN