 Off-Topic / Debate / 23981
Re: Disney's public conscience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2004 16:45:37 GMT

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/Promos/P82888.asp

This, from the company that greenlighted "Haunted Mansion" and
"The Jungle Book 2."

It's just a marketing decision, nothing sinister. Disney decided they already
had enough fantasy films in this summer's line up.

Zing!  Well, as an investment, it sounds like a dumb marketing decision, if
anything.  Bowling for Columbine cost a few million to make and raked in over
$120M.  Farenheit is at least fairly likely to pull in similar returns.

Since the company that can't seem to release two successful films in a row
(despite a near-constant output of films and many decades of brand-name
momentum), I'd think they'd jump at the chance to release a nearly guaranteed
success.

(I won't pay anything to that man, because even when he's right, he's annoyingly
hatchetjobbish. Why not just present the facts and let people think for
themselves? Why make stuff up?)

I would say that Moore is, proportionately, on-target more often than, say,
Hannity, Limbaugh, or Savage.  That's hardly high praise, to be sure, but the
Right at least (of which you are not a member, of course) has no basis to
criticize him on that count.

His "relaxed" attitude toward source-confirmation is more bothersome to me
because he's pretty lax about citation even when he's correct.

There was a little filmmaker
(whom some would call a muckraker)
Far to the left of the blogfest
When he's correct, he's very very correct
But when he's wrong, he's the wrongest

It's really damning, actually.  His on-target moments are powerful and could be
moreso if they weren't diluted by off-the-mark diatribes.

Dave!