 Off-Topic / Debate / 23792
Re: What Should the Next Guy Do?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:04:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   So you’re Ralph Nader and you wake up one afternoon in November to find that due to a glitch in electronic voting, you’ve been elected President of the United States. What do you do to make things right in Iraq?

Does anyone have a workable plan?

  1. Have Bush work point with the Marines/Army in Falluja

I’m sure he’ll go AWOL and work on somebody’s political campaign. ;-)

  1. Have the media call American Security Contractors “mercenaries”… because that is what they are!

Can’t and shouldn’t tell the media what to write - he would simply need to direct them to the unemployment line (but I understand the sentiment).

  1. Rip up the rigged Iraqi constitution.

Yup.

  1. Involve the UN on its terms.

As gutless as the UN can be, it’s the only way to restore some level of believablity.

  1. Listen to Iraqis... and give power to the leaders they elect.

Democracy?!? What a novel concept for Dubya!

We had a de facto world mandate to govern Germany and Japan after WWII - we do not have such in Iraq, and Dubya doesn’t understand the difference. It needs to be managed under the auspices of the UN.

  1. Listen to world opinion

Except the French! ;-)

(Oh, alright, I actually count France as a great country and ally and I hardly hold a difference of opinion on this as something to overthrow that historic bond, especially since I don’t agree with Dubya’s policy anyway. But it’s fun to tweak their gallic noses - pardon me while I drink California Champagne)

  1. Work with the international community to sustainably re-build Iraqi society.
  2. Investigate all wrongful deaths, and prosecute those responsible.

Yup. Pretty good list. Not that I’m going to vote for Nader this time - I would have if he ran under the Green party banner. I don’t know what he was thinking.

-->Bruce<--