 Off-Topic / Debate / 23703
Re: From Reason: "It's all bad news - Chaos in occupied Iraq"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:16:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   http://www.reason.com/hod/nr032604.shtml

   What is the link between Iraq in 2001 and terrorism? Has the threat from Iraq now decreased? Has the general threat to the US interests decreased?

No need to find a marriage licence between Hussein and OBL. The only link neccessary is that they both posed a threat. OBL was able to carry out his evil intentions in 2001, Hussein was stopped before he was able to harm us.

You have not answered my question!

We are talking about a country that is tribal and brutal.

It has been part of the occupation plan to fragment the population (divide and conquer)... Bush sees tribalism as a benefit!

Wow, now that is spin, encouraging Iraqi’s to rise up against their oppressor is called divide and conquer.

No. I did not say that. As an aside, I expect soon they will unite and “rise up against their oppressor”.

If Iraqi’s were swarming to Fallujah en mass to join the fight that might be a reality, until then one local thug getting his followers to take up arms is not uniting anyone.

What planet are you on!? Read this:

Up to 200,000 Iraqi believers, many of them Shias, crowded into the precinct of Baghdad’s largest Sunni mosque yesterday to denounce the American occupation and pledge solidarity with the people of Falluja as well as the uprising led by the Shia cleric, Moqtada al-Sadr.

   None of that explains this.

Check the Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International Website; the truth will enlighten you.

I am well aware of the many accidents and claims of attrocities, and am truely bothered by it. I really hate it when innocents are caught in the crossfire of military action. If any innocent deaths can be shown to be the result of neglegence or malice, then those responsible need to be punished accordingly.

I agree.

   The coalition and it’s military leaders have gone to great lengths to avoid civilian casualties whenever possible.

By using cluster bombs in urban areas?

   This uprising did not start with the shut down of the newspaper, although that did escalate it.

Well, how did it start?

The whole reason the newspaper was shut down was because it was publishing anti-American sentiment, which was believed to be causing some of the violence in the region. I am undecided as to whether or not this was a good decision.

Did Bush close down papers in the USA which supported his illegal war? What would the reaction be if he did?

   I also do not believe that this uprising is completely Shia, there have been several Syrians found among the combatants.

Care to share your source?

AP Story http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ?SITE=SCCHA&SECTION=HOME

“The 12 Marines were killed Tuesday in Ramadi, where Maj. Gen. James Mattis, 1st Marine Division commander, said his forces still were fighting insurgents that included Syrian mercenaries.

That’s hardly objective.

   Also someone else, either Iranian or Syrian is likely financing this whole operation.

lol. Care to share your source?

No source here, mere speculation.

I thought as much.

   What was the threat that he posed?

Sadam proved his desire for WMD and willingness to use them. Somehow lost in all this partisan banter is the fact that the WMD that Blix and the Kaye were looking for are weapons that Sadam admitted that he once had, then never proved that he had destroyed them. Someone who once had weapons, who still harbors a deep hatred for the USA, who is concealing the truth. Add it all up, sounds like a threat to me.

Does it really?

   Were Iraq in no way a threat, why would the UN have passed 1441 and why did they all agree to maintain sanctions.

If he was a threat, why did they not support the war?

9/11 did not implicate Sadam, it merely proved to us that we could no longer sit back, and hope that we would not be attacked again. True irony is that Bush is being criticized for not acting pre-emptively to avoid 9/11 or to assist Haiti.

To assist in the removal of a democratically elected leader by a mob?

   What if the easiest way to reduce the threat is sort out Palestine / Israel?

We have been trying for years to sort that whole situation out.

By funding Sharon’s murdering ways?

   I don’t ever see this situation being resolved by America, either Isreal will tire of the sensless attacks and wipe the palastinians out, or Palastinian mothers will begin loving thier sons more than they hate Israelis.

What about the “senseless” attacks on Palestinians by Israelis? What about the hate Israeli parents pass on to their kids? What about justice?

Your view of the ME even less informed than John Neal’s!

Scott A