 Off-Topic / Debate / 23702
Re: They Know Where You Are!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:31:21 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftwareDOTcom> wrote in
message news:Hvuy9o.16uv@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Neb Okla wrote:
This is way cool:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/05/business/05reason.html?pagewant

Well worth the $15 bucks for a subscription.

Subscribing by April 9th, 2004 will get you a copy:

    https://www.kable.com/pub/anxx/newsubs.asp

Reason is one of my fave mags... I cite from it here on a regular basis. • So my
opinion is of course biased but I find it well worth 15 a year. It's got a
viewpoint you're not going to find very many other places, mores the pity.

I have a satellite pic of my house stashed from when MS first announced
Terradata. I will be curious to see if they get it right in the mag, or • are off
a bit... my house is hard to find in pictures because the numbering on my • street
is quite irregular, not evenly spaced, (1) you need to know to look for • the
distinctive driveway shape and pool shape.

Terraserver had the house I grew-up in on the wrong side of a river - about
half a mile from where it could be found.  I believe they have since updated
their GIS data.

Also of note, people are referring to these as "satellite photos".  I doubt
that is accurate.  In the US, the USGS offers 1 meter resolution photos for
free (these are the ones displayed by TerraServer).  The USGS photos are
taken by aircraft.

Nowadays UAV's can create photos of greater detail instantly with Synthetic
Aperture Radar (SAR), here's a good site:

    http://www.sandia.gov/RADAR/sar.html

I've seen it demonstrated, and it took about a second to create a map as
detailed as any USGS quadrangle photo - but for an entire city.  It was
essentially real-time.  Best of all, since it's radar, it works through
clouds.  I'd imagine they will be mounting this technology on satellites too
if they haven't already.  It can give the kinds of images seen in the movie
"Goldeneye" (where you could watch the person fleeing from the damaged
Goldeneye complex in real time).