 Off-Topic / Debate / 23685
Re: They Know Where You Are!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 16:49:59 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftwareDOTcom> wrote in
message news:Hvuy9o.16uv@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Neb Okla wrote:
This is way cool:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/05/business/05reason.html?pagewant

Well worth the $15 bucks for a subscription.

Subscribing by April 9th, 2004 will get you a copy:

    https://www.kable.com/pub/anxx/newsubs.asp

Reason is one of my fave mags... I cite from it here on a regular basis. • So my
opinion is of course biased but I find it well worth 15 a year. It's got a
viewpoint you're not going to find very many other places, mores the pity.

I have a satellite pic of my house stashed from when MS first announced
Terradata. I will be curious to see if they get it right in the mag, or • are off
a bit... my house is hard to find in pictures because the numbering on my • street
is quite irregular, not evenly spaced, (1) you need to know to look for • the
distinctive driveway shape and pool shape.

1 - it throws NeverLost off a bit too. they tend to assume linear spacing
between waypoints

Yea, my apartment complex really screws up these algorithms. Each apartment
in the complex (at least the townhome units) has it's own street number - on
the main street, not a street within the complex. Mapquest puts me across
the railroad tracks in the woods (where the homeless sleep and die [a year
ago they found a body - I seem to live in interesting places, in Raleigh
there was a murder in the parking lot outside my apartment, here a homeless
person died in the woods across the tracks]).

Hmm, at least one picture on terraserver has a dot at least at the corner of
the complex. Not too bad. Hmm, one of the aerial photos is old enough my
half of the apartment complex is just a field and it looks like the MAX
isn't there (though the railroad right of way pre-exists MAX). Hmm, they've
got their dates wrong, or at least significant construction progress (if not
completion) was made on the complex and the MAX park and ride lot between
7/24/2000 and 8/5/2000... Either that or there's some overlay on the
picture, hiding some stuff.

Take a look at these two pictures:

USGS 8/5/2000:

http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_usgs.asp?cpx=-122.833902&cpy=45.499303&usgs_res=13

Pixxures 7/24/2000
http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_pixx.asp?ulx=-122.85958055575&uly=45.5173015601152&lrx=-122.80822344425&lry=45.4813044398848&provider_id=401&ver=2

This picture from Airphoto USA taken 9/1/2002 has a red dot in the center
that is at the NW corner of my complex. The complex is sort of shaped like a
bloated lower case b, my apartment is on the right hand edge of the upper
leg of the b in the middle.

As an  idea of how close I live to work, work is near the north edge of
these pictures in the center. If you cross the woods and road to the NNW of
my apartment, the big office complex you see there is Nike's headquarters,
it fills up more than half of the super-block.

Frank