 Off-Topic / Debate / 2367
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 14:09:04 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Mike Stanley writes:
Simon Robinson <simon@simonrobinson.com> wrote:
That is really good of them. But what would be nice in that case would
be if they could be persuaded - when they know they've got a rare old
set that is in heavy demand - to restrict the numbers of the set that they
will sell to any one person, in order to ensure that as many people as
possible get at least some of the set.

Nah, too much trouble.  I know *I* wouldn't bother doing that if I
were a retailer.  The point is to sell your stock on hand and make a
profit.

I'd like to think that you'd regard doing business as a bit more than
that. There's two sides of it: A. Making a profit, and B. Providing a
good service to your customers. Both are important.

Selling all your stock no matter who to may be the way you do business
but there are companies do take more care than that.[1]

If Larry or anyone else wanted to artificially limit the number they
would sell to people, fine, or even if the retailer *wanted* to do
it, fine.  But artificial limits like that, while maybe keeping a
few random scalpers from ruining it for more people, also ruin it
for serious builder/collectors, or, more likely, it forces them to
go to more trouble to make multiple orders, etc.

Several points there.

Firstly, I'm intrigued by the way you use the term 'serious builder'.
I have five blue hopper cars - and I'm very happy with that. Does the
fact that I only want five somehow mean that I'm not a serious Lego
builder, as you seem to imply?

Secondly, if you're in a situation where there aren't enough sets to make
everyone happy, then which is best?
(A) to satisfy one person who will only be happy when he has 50 of a set.
OR
(B) to satisfy 10 people who each will be happy to own 5 of a set.
Assuming you can't do both?

I know which one of those I'd pick.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

[1] A case in point: The Entertainer is a medium sized chain of
toy stores in the UK - and incidently another good one for picking up
out of date sets that have been reduced. A year or so ago there
was a sudden flurry of buying in the UK for some horrid (IMHO) fluffy toys
called Furbies. They retailed for the equivalent of $50 but had
been reported to be changing hands privately for 10 times that
amount due to their being in short supply. I distinctly recall being in
an Entertainer shop that was selling Furbies at normal retail price,
but had a notice up saying that they would only sell one Furby to
each customer.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/