 Off-Topic / Debate / 2366
Re: web surveys
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 19:18:14 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote
Someone selling a program for one platform but giving it away for free for
another platform is, in my opinion, rabid advocacy.  It only hurts the seller.

They're trying to punish me for using a "bad" OS.  What happens in practice,
however, is that I deny them the sale by using someone else's software.

Depends very much on how you look at it, IMO. I will probably be using MySQL
shortly because it's the cheapest usable solution for my situation. And yes,
it will cost me $US200, regardless of platform, because I'm on-selling it.
As a private user I have no real issues with MySQL choosing not to supply
a freeware version of their software for certain platforms, that is something
I'm used to from other situations. For instance, many CE tools are available
as freeware that only runs in the simulated environment, you have to pay
for the version that runs on a CE platform. Or is that not the same thing?
It means the same to me - I have a development environment at home that has
various tools on it, and one of them is Linux. So MySQL server only runs
on that, big deal. It's still faster to use a P-133/32MB as a MySQL Server
than a PIII-450/256MB running MS-Access.

You could look at it as saying that non-MS platforms are of course only used
for playing with ideas and toy solutions, while anyone who is serious will
naturally use a commercial solution and be willing to pay for it.

Moz