 Off-Topic / Debate / 23580
Re: FOUND: Weapons of Mass Destruction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:22:17 GMT

From Dubya's own carefully fact-checked SOTU
<http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/01/20040120-7.html address:>

[As part of the offensive against terror, we are also confronting the
regimes that harbor and support terrorists, and could supply them with
nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.]

I've been skeptical of his claims that he's really concerned with getting at
the roots of terrorism or of really confronting the regimes that allow such
terrorists to live within those nations' borders, but now I see the first
glimmerings that the War on Terror might be working,
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1174639,00.html as shown here.>

First of all, nobody with the knowledge of what they were up to was
"allowing" them to live in the US.  As soon as they were discovered, they
were arrested.

Rubbish.  Its all in the spin.  Read the article.  The dude had been
'discovered' before, there had been a half hearted enquiry that had been dropped
for reasons unspecified.

Of course the authorities were not 'allowing' them to live in the US.  Any more
than say the Pakistani government is 'allowing' Osama to live in Pakistan, or
the UN was 'allowing' the persecution of the Iraqi people.

But this whole 'forces of good are only doing their best', and 'forces of evil
are being sactionably recalcitrant' makes one's skin crawl.

No doubt this story will receive all the coverage it deserves in the coming
weeks, since it speaks volumes about the ideological climate of a region
that would foment such anti-American hatred.

Is this last part meant as a joke?  Are you inferring some sort of aspersion
on Texans?  Southerners?  What exactly do those volumes say?

Simmer dude. I figured Dave! meant 'regime' not 'region', which I thought was a
cackle.

I particularly noted the bit in the article about previous brushes with the law.
In another country, the US Administration might cast this kind of failed
policing as 'sponsoring', or at the very least 'harbouring'.

Does this signal the beginnings of a campaign of US economic sanctions against
the regime governing the 466 people of Noonday, Texas, blockading ports and
borders, prohibiting the sale of natural resources for anything but food or
medicine?  I hope these measures work.  I'd hate to see exciting CNN footage of
carrier borne strike forces running round the clock anti-air suppression
missions into Noonday in advance of a ground assault.

Mind you, maybe all this will need to wait until the next President comes into
office, and has his first national security briefing, when he can explain that
his first order of business is to sort out these Texans, who've been getting
away with far too much for far too long, and asking for thoughts as to how this
might be approached...

;-)

Richard
Still baldly going...