 Off-Topic / Debate / 23576
Re: FOUND: Weapons of Mass Destruction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 17:45:59 GMT

   From Dubya’s own carefully fact-checked SOTU address:

As part of the offensive against terror, we are also confronting the regimes that harbor and support terrorists, and could supply them with nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.

I’ve been skeptical of his claims that he’s really concerned with getting at the roots of terrorism or of really confronting the regimes that allow such terrorists to live within those nations’ borders, but now I see the first glimmerings that the War on Terror might be working, as shown here.

First of all, nobody with the knowledge of what they were up to was “allowing” them to live in the US. As soon as they were discovered, they were arrested.

But if they’d posed a threat to, say, Cuba instead of to the United States, would they have been arrested at all?

And, anyway, that’s not the point. All day, every day, we’re bombarded with so-called “breaking news” reports about the latest anti-American whispering from anywhere outside the US, but the news is astonishingly silent on this story, probably because it shows how hopelessly misguided the ill-named “Homeland Security” department truly is. This isn’t a new story, either--it’s a year old, and there’s still been very close to nothing about it on the major domestic news outlets, and certainly not in a timely fashion (i.e., fully seven months after the arrests!)

   No doubt this story will receive all the coverage it deserves in the coming weeks, since it speaks volumes about the ideological climate of a region that would foment such anti-American hatred.

Is this last part meant as a joke? Are you inferring some sort of aspersion on Texans? Southerners?

I don’t mean to imply anything; however, I’d like to state outright that one particular Texan is an inept pseudoleader who plays upon the most politically expedient fears of his constituents, some of whom voted for him.

   What exactly do those volumes say?

That it’s more politically comfortable to make speeches condemning foreign, dark-skinned, non-Judeochristian enemies than to address the possibility of home-grown, caucasian propagators of domestic terrorism, that’s all.

Dave!