 Off-Topic / Debate / 23107
23106  |  23108
Subject:
Mildly unrelated: LFB runs afoul of Homeland Security
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:22:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
The Transportation Security Adminstration may be misnamed... there's an "in"
missing, as in "INsecurity"

http://tzaddik.us/lilpoh/archives/000789.html
http://reason.com/0308/fe.bd.suspected.shtml
http://www.nationalreview.com/dunphy/dunphy200401070913.asp
http://www.reason.com/hitandrun/003874.shtml#003874

and there's a great article in the Feb issue of Reason as well.

Well, it looks like I might have to get fingerprinted when I arrive for BF PDX,
and I don't like that one bit! Not sure yet - they're still debating whether
countries that have visa exemptions (incl Aus for stays less than 90 days) will
also be exempt from such "security measures". And Australia has also decided to
go the same way as the US and have a digital photo on a chip in passports from
October. I don't see how thats any more secure than a paper photo, but oh well.

   I got word today that Homeland Security is temporarily (they say)
   impounding my belongings coming from South Africa--almost all books
   and papers, with a few other personal effects (clothing) for a CET
   or "Contraband Examination Team" search.  This is going to hold up
   my belongings for perhaps another month, which has me very angry
   because now I will have to pay almost $1000 in addition to the shipping
   fees I am already paying.  It turns out that's what Homeland Security
   does--they actually charge *you* for the privilege of having them
   rummage through your carefully packed things and potentially damage
   or confiscate your books and papers.  On, and if that's not enough,
   I will have to return from the UK to accept the shipment in February.
   That's another $500 or more.  So where's all the tax money going, if
   consignees are being made to pay anyways?

   There is nothing that I can imagine would possibly have looked like
   contraband in my papers.  I am at a loss as to what they're looking
   for, or why I have been singled out for this honor.  I was working
   under a State Dept grant, but I was not permitted to send these by
   consular mail, so still I wait.

   So the things I sent in October are still on their way, and may not
   arrive here in good shape or at all once Homeland Security is through
   with them.  I feel safer already!  Thanks, Mr. Ridge!  Oh well, at
   least I haven't been put on a "no-fly" list (yet) as a dangerous
   academic, as has happened to two people I know already.

   Sorry, I'm just upset and seething, and need to vent.

   best

   LFB