 Off-Topic / Debate / 2284
2283  |  2285
Subject:
U.S. history question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:05:28 GMT

(I'm posting this to .debate, not to debate but rather to catch the
attention of those who reside here, and 'cause there's really no better
place for it.  We could probably use lugnet.off-topic.history , but it would
probably be the least-read ng on the server.  That said, please debate
away!  :-, )

I'm reading the Federalist Papers for the first time.  In #1, where Hamilton
summarizes the goals of the Papers, one of the topics will be "[The new U.S.
Constitution's] ANALOGY TO YOUR OWN STATE CONSTITUTION"

So here's the question:  By the time this was written (year 1787), did any
of the states already have their own Constitutions?  Did all of the states
have a Constitution, and the Federal Government was just catching up?

obsidetrack:  It's interesting to note that Hamilton (if that's who it
really was) co-authored these papers anonymously.  The U.S. had been
relatively free from the Brits for about a decade now; what were they afraid
of?  He says "the consciousness of good intentions disdains ambiguity", but
his signature -- PUBLIUS, probably Latin and probably meant to be PUBLICUS
or "of the people" -- is anything but disambiguous.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to bullets."
- Angus McGuire