 Off-Topic / Debate / 2286
Re: U.S. history question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:52:58 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:
So here's the question:  By the time this was written (year 1787), did any
of the states already have their own Constitutions?  Did all of the states
have a Constitution, and the Federal Government was just catching up?

Here's an excerpt from a page on why Massachusetts is a Commonwealth
(http://www.state.ma.us/lib/ref/refweb/faq/common.htm)

   From 1776 to 1780 the words 'State of Massachusetts Bay' appeared
   on the top of all acts and resolves. In 1780, the Massachusetts
   Constitution went into effect. Part Two of the Constitution, under
   the heading "Frame of Government" states: "that the people ... form
   themselves into a free, sovereign, and independent body politic, or
   state by the name of The Commonwealth of Massachusetts." Virginia
   (on June 29, 1776) and Pennsylvania (on September 25, 1776) adopted
   Constitutions which called their respective states commonwealths.
   Kentucky is also a commonwealth. Commonwealths are states, but the
   reverse is not true. Legally, we are a commonwealth because the term
   is contained in the Constitution.

When I was looking for information on Commonwealths a while ago, I also
found a statement that Massachusetts has the oldest state constitution
still in effect.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com