 Off-Topic / Debate / 22671
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 04:16:33 GMT

   Accepting that you do believe that God exists, why do you believe that God exists?

I’ve asked people this in non-LUGNET life, and the answers usually take one of XXX forms:

1. Because the bible/my parents/my pastor/a respected figure told me so.

2. Because only God can explain the mystery/complexity of the universe.

3. Because without God, life has no meaning.

4. Because without God, many evil people are never punished.

5. Because without God, then there is no heaven/afterlife

6. Because He revealed Himself to me in a way that I can’t express to you.

Each of these is, to me, an unsatisfactory justification for belief, and I’d be interested to hear other motivations.

Where’s my favorite appeal to logic: if you don’t believe in God you will burn in hell for all eternity!

-->Bruce<--