 Off-Topic / Debate / 22661
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:43:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
How about the flawed interpretation of man regarding the essence of God isn't
worthy of adulation?

Are you saying that the "Good Book" is a creation of man, and therefore flawed?
Or that men are unable to understand the meaning of a divine text?

I think ultimately I am asking you the value of a flawed or unknowable text. If
your understanding is going to be corrupt or in some way limited -- how do you
know what you know about the nature of the divine such that you believe?

Am I making myself clear?

-- Hop-frog

As clear as poosible givine the context

Some folks say that the 'good book' is God's holy word, and as such, is
impervious to mistake. Sure.  Whatever.  That's why every minister that has ever
preached and every discourse of specific passages all come away with different,
and often contradictory, meanings.

"What Luke really meant to say in this passage is..."  or "When you take the
original Aramaic word and understand it this  you get this interpretation..."

Put a sock in it.

For me, it comes down to whether I believe in an ultimate creator of the
universe.  And I do.

Does God exist?  Yes.

Can s/he be logically and rationally justified/explained?  Dunno--how can a
creation supercede the creator, especially if the creator is All, and the
creation isn't?

The rest of life has to be taken within the 'limits' of our understanding and
logic, and suitably adaptable thereof.

There are 3 things that defy logic--politics, religion, and the fan base of the
Toronto Maple Leafs.

I've learned that discussing any of the three can, and has been, pointless.

Dave K