 Off-Topic / Debate / 22648
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:40:59 GMT

   Well, the chain works like this: To “want” something (such as fellowship), is to imply a lack of that thing (or a desire to prevent the negation/removal of that thing). A being who lacks something is incomplete, and incompleteness indicates imperfection.

God intentionally limits Himself by giving us free will (as far as we know).

I’m afraid that the doctrine of free will is incompatible with the notion of original sin; it is logically inconsistent to believe in both.

   God desires us to have abundant life-- I don’t see where this indicates that God is incomplete or imperfect. Perhaps you could say that God is limited, but it is by His choice.

God is limited in other ways, too. God, as an omnibenevolent being, can never take first-hand pleasure in killing an innocent human being. God, as an omniscient being, can never know first-hand the intellectual pleasure of solving a riddle. God, as an omnipotent being, can never know first-hand the pleasure of overcoming a difficult obstacle. God, as an omnipresent being, can never know first-hand the pleasure of returning to a fondly remembered place. There are lots of limitations along these lines.

Some might claim that, having incarnated Himself as Jesus, then He could experience these things Himself, but that fails, too:

If Christ was finite, then he was not infinite, and he therefore couldn’t be God.

If Christ was infinite, then he was not human, and his crucifixion had no value, since he stood to lose nothing by “dying.”

If Christ was both fully human and fully divine, then he was a logical contradiction, which Christians don’t generally seem to want to accept (ie, let me see God create an odd number evenly divisible).

If God was infinite, then there is nothing He could have learned through Christ, even within the above “omni” limitations. That is, if God learned of something through Christ, then He didn’t already know it, which implies incompleteness, which implies imperfection.

   God is beyond logic and reasoning. I know that those are the only tools our finite brains have, but they are useless when it comes to matters of the infinite.

Let’s first stipulate that you’re witnessing in this passage rather than debating. That’s not wrong, but it’s different from actually presenting a case for something.

I fully acknowledge this. I’m not sure exactly how else to discuss the topic-- my limitation.

But there are certain criteria to which God must adhere, by His very nature. If He is infinite and incomprehensible, then you must accept that He is capable of committing abject evil. If He is not so capable, then you admit that He is limited. But if He is so capable, then you admit that he is not omnibenevolent.

   This sends us back to the problem that you can’t assert with any confidence that God truly is good; you can only say that you deeply believe that he’s good based on that small portion of Him that you believe yourself to have perceived.

True. I only know about God what God has revealed Himself to be. Jesus reveals Him to be a good and loving God. I accept this regardless of how I perceive Him at any given time (especially in times of grief, etc)

Do you then, in principle, acknowledge that God could be evil in disguise? I’m not asking if that’s what you believe, but do you accept that possibility, given our human limitations that you’ve already acknowledged?

   I’m sure that you’d never deliberately do so, but your course of argument has generated that conclusion!

Obviously the fault of my limited arguing abilities!

I didn’t mean that as in insult, and I apologize if it came across that way.

Actually, the deeper problem is that this kind of discussion naturally leads to logical inconstencies, through no fault of the debater. It’s at that point that some people are inclined (or able) to make a leap of faith, while others identify that point as a fatal flaw in the underlying premiss of God.

Dave!