 Off-Topic / Debate / 22637
Re: Waffling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:08:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   But then, I had my Albedo comics authenticated and they went for several hundred dollars, so I suppose it’s all about money. :-)

What kind of tulip madness was this? Are we talking “Samurai Bunny” comics? Where, when, and why? Do they maintain this absurd value?

Usagi Yojimbo. To address stuff you go into below regarding eBay, I noted that CGC graded comics went for considerably more than those that weren’t graded, though the cost of grading meant you had to have a relatively expensive comic in the first place, and unless it is really, really old, it probably needs to be in pretty good shape to begin with. Having the Albedos professionally graded (over a service like eBay, that gives the bidder a lot of confidence) and being able to say that I had the highest graded issue in existence kinda drove up the price, far beyond what Overstreet said they were worth. As to Albedo itself, the original run was like 2000 copies, and most of that in SoCal, since they published out of Pasadena.

One of my better killings in comics -- of stuff with which I was actually willing to part -- was for the Englehart/Rogers Batman “Detective Comics” run. I had them all in duplicates, and a few oddities besides. The first Batman movie had just come out and each issue was valued at around $50-75 each. This was in and around Los Angeles, so that might figure into it.

Years later in Chicago, the same comics were going for mere dollars.

Gee look at this listing online: http://newkadia.safeshopper.com/1080/11124.htm?282 That one’s supposed to be THEE big deal. Still not bad up from $0.35, but it has not returned to the prices I fetched for them.

Here’s the real killer of value -- ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2199211137&category=33808
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2199211130
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2199211121
Not the same issue, but the issues around it. No takers so far, not for any of them...

All this collector stuff is crap -- esp. in comics. Overstreet makes for good if rough toilet paper. Ebay has made everything collectable available! There is no true scarcity - there is a near frictionless method to connect the buyer tot he seller -- why pay a premium price?

The real problem was the Great Comic Collector Crash, when some publishers printed virtually nothing but “1st edition collectors special editions”. Everyone got disgusted at what was essentially a speculator’s scam, and prices imploded. Hasn’t really recovered.

EBAy is both good and bad. It’s a buyers market.

I agree with your assessment on Overstreet.

Your assistant printed Ansel Adams prints approach scarcity, but then perhaps only to you. This reminds me of my copies of Silver Surfer #1, and other related stuff like Fantastic Four #s 48-50.

The Ansel Adams prints are still available (online, in fact, from the Ansel Adams Gallery). Last I saw they were going for $175, though I got mine for $50-$75 (I thinned my collection out, too, and got $135-$150 per print on eBay).

http://www.comicgems.com/fantastic-four-48-cgc-silver-surfer.htm

My mom made me throw this away, of course. The earliest FF I had to throw away was #13, Spiderman #7, Avengers #1, X-Men #1.

Ooooohhh, aaaaaaaaaaahhh...

Big deal. It’s an available comic in a mylar. This oft reprinted story is also available in numerous other ways. What’s the big deal? I’d guess most people might want a good reading copy -- FF #s 48-50 are seriously GOOD comics to read, but I am not seeing the mylar container appeal. Kirby at his best if you are actually going to crack open the mylar.

That’s what I don’t get about the CGC value. Yes, you know the quality of the comic you are buying, but it is in a sealed container. It’s like leaving Lego in a box.

Why reprints don’t destroy the value of older comics, I don’t know. I’m usually quite content to keep the reprint and sell the original.

-->Bruce<--