 Off-Topic / Debate / 22627
22626  |  22628
Subject:
Waffling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:51:37 GMT

Warhol ‘copy’ row engulfs art world

Andy Warhol often left assistants to “mass produce” many of his most famous pictures, among them images of the Campbell soup tin.

edt: snip

The irony in the row is that Warhol himself questioned the idea of “original” art - choosing everyday items as subjects and producing thousands of prints of the same work.

Warhol’s most significant achievement -- the denial that real “art” even exists -- the idea of art is just another stupid label. Not that the idea is very orginal itself -- I’d say Warhol swiped it from the Dada movement of much earlier in the century. He just capitalized on the idea so well.

I called this “Waffling” because it’s as much about equivocation as it is about the fact that I am avoiding cooking some waffles this morning in my 1908 Griswold “American No. 8” waffle iron.

I was gonna go complain about Shrub but we have some house remodelling chores to perform later in the day too. Never enough time. Never enough slack...

-- Hop-Frog