 Off-Topic / Debate / 22566
Re: Iraq (was Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:31:39 GMT

   Is that true? I don’t dispute it, but I wasn’t aware of it. If it’s true, then what level of gov’t official is included?

In the main, the militia merely means an armed group of freepersons that are not otherwise playing some kind of official role or duty. I mean, a sheriff might call together a posse comitatus and work closely with one -- but he remains the sheriff and not actually a member of the posse comitatus.

Here’s my bookshelf dictionary definition:

mi·li·tia, noun, Abbr. mil.

1. An army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers. 2. A military force that is not part of a regular army and is subject to call for service in an emergency. 3. The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service.

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Etc, etc, etc...

Gee, look how closely that fits most of my previous statements on the subject! Can it be I never looked it up and presented it before?! I honestly do not understand how the 2nd Amendment is claimed to be misunderstood. I can see where people object to its obvious meaning, but to me that’s a separate issue.

Let’s look at the 2nd Amendment again, shall we:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Allow me to reword it slightly according to this ordinary dictionary definition:

A well regulated army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The slippage I see here is the use of the word “army” to mean something other than what army usually means. Here’s my dictionary definition of army:

ar·my, noun, plural ar·mies

1.a. A large body of people organized and trained for land warfare. b. Often Army The entire military land forces of a country. c. A tactical and administrative military unit consisting of a headquarters, two or more corps, and auxiliary forces. 2.A large group of people organized for a specific cause: the construction army that built the Panama Canal. 3.A multitude; a host: An army of waiters served at the banquet. See synonyms at multitude.

Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Etc, etc, etc...

Is it plain enough that the distinction between militia and army is simply that of ordinary citizens versus professional soldiers? That’s what I see! The Founding Fathers used the term army all the time -- they could have used it here. But they didn’t -- they used the word militia instead. Why? Because despite the “picky-picky” game, words do have meanings.

So, even in modern parlance, the use of the distinguishing term “militia” points up that fact that the 2nd Amendment is specifially referencing a right recognized and protected for ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers.

I suppose Kooties is going to emphasize the nagging phrase “well regulated” whereas I could point out the equivalent weight of the nullifying phrase “shall not be infringed.”

So is the right to bear arms to be so well regulated as to make it disappear; or is it sacrosanct and immune to defeat or invalidation?

But actually it is not the right to bear arms that is to be well regulated, but the militia itself. Isn’t that precisely how a posse is organized -- a group of citizens under the direction of a Sheriff or other recognized leader?

The second part states plainly that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be defeated or invalidated.

That means to regulate and organize the people, but that the people themselves have an inviolable right to bear arms.

And I didn’t have to resort to any particular in-depth research. I am using an OEM version of Microsoft’s Bookshelf 2000 if anyone wants to double-check me.

-- Hop-Frog