 Off-Topic / Debate / 22520
Re: Iraq (was Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:20:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   Well throughout history we have yet to see a country prove otherwise. Oh wait, that’s not proof?!

Well, I’d have to say the recent (last 50-75 years) histories of many South American countries is also proof that not having guns makes a country ripe for a dictatorship. So yeah, if that’s not proof I don’t know what is...

I think Kooties thinks that just because most people normally restrain themselves from committing acts of violence that they are incapable of mounting an organized revolt should the need arise. Given that people are often politically on opposite sides of things, I can give some value to the idea that it would be hard to organize people behind a single idea or reason for a revolution; but I still think if things got bad enough it could happen.

-- Hop-Frog