 Off-Topic / Debate / 22517
Re: Iraq (was Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:42:22 GMT

   You know you still have not replied to this

-Mike Petrucelli

You didn’t say anything new in there at all, Mike. Lets have a looksee--

“ Are you joking? “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” What the heck do you think it says? Well allow me to translate this into modern day English for you. “A well regulated militia...” “Every able bodied citizen...” ”

And we’ll start disagreeing right here. Show me how an abled bodied citizen constitutes a “well regulated militia”. Show me how a bunch of able bodied citizens constitute a ‘well regulated militia” when they are not part of any regulated military forces.

Well, as Hop-Frog has pointed out numerous times, our founding fathers stated quite clearly when asked that a militia was anyone that is not a government offical.

Since you’re into defining things your way, let’s look at the definition of “well regulated” and “militia” in this context. Well regulated--under the purview of officers, regimented, trained and certified. None of which is the lone gunman in his house. Militia--a military force. Again, does not include you and your gun in your house.

Perhaps that is the modern day definition, but what does that have to do with reading a 200+ year old document. You have to use the definitions from when it was written.

“ “being necessary to the security of a free state,...” ”

Sure armed forces are there to secure a free state. I haven’t said that scrapping of the army, navy, air force, marines would be a good thing. On the contrary, I support the troops--the work that they do is what is actually protecting our freedoms. I’d like cites that say the same for your gun in your house. But there aren’t any or you would have rolled them out by now. You don’t have one shred of proof that can equate guns in homes with defending democracy, not one cite showing that guns in homes preserve freedom. I have shown many cites to the contrary--first, guns aren’t needed in homes to preserve democracy, vigilant people are needed to preserve democracy. Second, people’s freedoms are ended at the point of a gun in the thousands.

“ “for the purpose of preserving the democracy,...” “the right of the poeple to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” ”

I have the right to jump off a cliff and kill myself--suicide isn’t against the law--how can it be? I have the right to marry whomever I choose, though if I don’t choose wisely I’d end up miserable. There are many rights open to us on account of the freedom we have. I don’t dispute your right in your country to own a gun. Legally you are allowed ot walk into a gunshop and, with a little bit of paperwork and hopefully a security check, purchase a gun.

“has the right to own weapons.” This is backed by all of the historical refrences which Hop-Frog already sited.

Again not refuting. If you drop the first part about the well regulated militia out of your arguement, for you are not, and therefore the first part doesn’t apply, then we can go on.

But the bigger issue is, should you? Should you own a gun? I have shown that guns are, in fact, a detriment to your society today.

Really where?

   You have not shown that guns in the hands of the private citizen is good for society. You have ‘faith based’ reasoning to justify your ownership, vis a vis the politicians in America will turn tyrannical, with no concrete evidence supporting said claim.

” You keep stating that we are ignoring 30 people dying a day. We are not ignoring it we simply recognize that taking guns away from law abiding citizens will not stop those 30 deaths a day. Punish the lunatics that commit the crimes not the inantimate object they happen to use. The only way to make your assertation that ‘removing guns will reduce crime’ true is to remove every gun from the face of the planet, including those owened by the various militaries and police forces of the world. Good luck with that. ”

And you keep ignoring the fact that guns in law abiding homes kill people. Take away the guns and the criminals (and the kids and the jilted lover, etc.) can’t get at ‘em. I think that the armed forces have tighter security such that guns getting into the hands of the ordinary citizen is much reduced from these venues. It’s not a valid arguement and we’re back to 5 year old logic--“If timmy can get his hands on a gun, I should have the right to get my hands on a gun.” forgetting the simple fact that timmy has relatively no chance to acquire a gun smuggled out from armed forces, and that you have a high chance of getting a gun at the local gun store

Actually it is easier to illegally purchase a Russian made AK-47 machine gun than it is to legally purchase a U.S. made handgun. Something you continue to ignore.

   --a gun that can then be used to justify Timmy actually going out and getting one of his own.

” You keep appealing to the “power of the vote” and you seem to be ingoring where that power is derived from. ”

I don’t see guns voting, I see people voting in Amewrica

You have yet to show a single instance in which a country with an unarmed citiznery has the right to vote in the first place. (Of course there isn’t one but hey who cares about minor things like that. Just because an idea is completly unproven doesn’t make it any less appealing to you for some odd reason.)

   --more later but boss wants a ride to pick up his vehicle :)

Okay then. :-)

-Mike Petrucelli

You keep giving numerous examples of instances where everything worked as it should ‘without guns.’ Yet you ingore the fact that the people had the ability, if it would have been required.

You keep reciting phrases out of context like “outta my cold dead hands” and “brain lead.” Yet you ignore the fact that those statements are made in defence of freedom and the democracy that preserves it. If you are unwilling to kill to protect your freedom that is fine. No one is requiring you to keep a gun or kill to protect your freedom. What I can’t figure out is where you get off telling people they shouldn’t reserve the right to kill to protect freedom just because it is unlikely that we will ever need to resort to such desperate measures. Did it ever occur to you that the reason it is extremely unlikely that we will have to resort to such measures is simply because we do have the ability to do so? Of course for some odd reason you actually believe that the military is somehow in a position of god-like superiority and we don’t have the ability to do so, when in fact the military could easily be neutralized by an overwhelming force in its own bases on American soil. (That is a worst case senario mind you, in all likelyhood if things got that bad, the military would be busy fighting itself. Either way its presence is irrelevent.)

I am going to take a wild guess and say your going to ignore all that and just think I am a ‘gun totin yahoo.’ I wonder if you realize that we are technically arguing for the same thing; protecting the innocent and preserving our rights and democracy.

-Mike Petrucelli ”