 Off-Topic / Debate / 22476
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 22:14:47 GMT

   So that’s the essence of it. I do not believe in any metaphysical, “good” or “evil,” but I accept that humans have developed certain basic and near-universal concepts that enable us to judge the actions of certain particularly “good” or “evil” individuals in terms of those concepts.

   Now that was a tremendous ST:TNG ep when Jean Luc was being tortured by the Cardassian--can’t remember the quote right now, but when I heard it, it was a “Wow!” moment.

I think that you and I went down this road before. Bear in mind that the thread took place before you and I made peace, so it might come across with more bitterness than is now the case.

   And I concur with all that you said above--we don’t need a universal ‘evil’ or ‘original sin’ to commit atrocities, or a universal good, or ‘God’ to commit acts of kindness.

However, that said, this certainly does not deny the existence of God.

Perhaps not, but it definitely eliminates the moral need for God.

Dave!