 Off-Topic / Debate / 22473
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:45:51 GMT

snip

   The fundamental distinction occurs at the point at which one is able to recognize a different person as sufficiently similar to oneself for this empathy to be a dominant factor. During WWII, this has taken the form of dehumanizing Germans and Japanese civilians into Huns and Nips. In the current “War on Terror,” we’ve seen attempts to paint the “enemy” as some kind of inferior inferior idol-worshipper, or “evil-doers” or even simply as “terrorists.” Either way, the intent is the same: to reduce empathy for the “enemy” so that it’s easier to justify firebombing their cities and innocent civilians into oblivion.

So that’s the essence of it. I do not believe in any metaphysical, “good” or “evil,” but I accept that humans have developed certain basic and near-universal concepts that enable us to judge the actions of certain particularly “good” or “evil” individuals in terms of those concepts.

Dave!

Now that was a tremendous ST:TNG ep when Jean Luc was being tortured by the Cardassian--can’t remember the quote right now, but when I heard it, it was a “Wow!” moment.

And I concur with all that you said above--we don’t need a universal ‘evil’ or ‘original sin’ to commit atrocities, or a universal good, or ‘God’ to commit acts of kindness.

However, that said, this certainly does not deny the existence of God.

Dave K