 Off-Topic / Debate / 22469
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:58:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   What the ****?!

Belief has nothing to do with anything. Get it through your thick skulls.

The existence or non-existence of a possible god is not so far an observed phenomena.

End of story.

If you want to believe in the bogeyman in the sky, go right ahead. Just don’t you dare look at the rest of us strangely when we see no need to believe in this mystical being ourselves. After all, the enormous leap of faith is not performed on the atheistic or agnostic side of the equation...

I think it is called a “leap of faith” because it runs counter to all reason.

Get it?

-- Hop-Frog

Well Hoppy,

I see that you’re on a tirade, and, for the most part, a perfectly understandable one. However, your little rant above is not called for. I didn’t mention at all my convictions, but am pointing out what may be a reasonably debatable subject like what’s ‘inherent’ when one says ‘I believe’ or ‘I do not believe’.

Since you say that this has nothing to do with “believe”, you basically shut down the arguement in its entirety. The one side only has the ‘belief’ that God exists, and the other side only has the ‘belief’ that God doesn’t exist.

You talk about the scientific way of ‘observable phenomenon’, and I will have no problem granting that the ‘theory of evolution’ as it is today and able to be modified as new observations are made and quantified is the best explanation as to how we’re here today, but science cannot encompass all. If it could, it would be God, for that’s the very definition (I wanted to spell def’n but I recall similar flack from using that shorthand).

Can something exist outside the realm of science? Something that cannot be mesured today, or for all of time, with scientific instruments--something that cannot be observed or quantified using the scientific process?

Can existence ‘exist’ outside scientific discovery? A great hypothetical debate topic if I ever heard of one.

Your belief is ‘no--nothing can--all that there is can, and at some time in the future will, be quantified using scientific principles.’ That is faith in science--that it can ‘know or discover all’. That’s your basic premise--all that can be known will be known thru science.

I believe that something can exist outside the scientific realm--I have faith that God exists, and that he cannot be monitored, measured or discovered by the scientific process. Hence the word ‘faith’--things that cannot be proven by science.

Saying that “Science cannot prove (either now or anytime in the future) the existence of God, therefore God does not exist” is the ludicrous assumption on your part, and is equally absurd scientifically.

Dave K