 Off-Topic / Debate / 22462
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:01:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Justin Pankey wrote:
   In any religion there are certain core values that one must adhere too to be considered part of the group. If your line of thinking were valid, I could call myself an atheist and still claim to believe in God and you would be powerless to challange that assertion.

Atheism is not a religion, although I know Xtians like to think that it is.

This is because it takes “faith” to NOT believe in God because you have to have faith in such fatally flawed teachings as evolution,etc. or regarding whatever other theories you have about what got us here.

   However we are looking at dictionary definitions here -- my dictionary says that being a Xtian can be defined as simply as “one who professes a belief in Jesus.” All you have to do is claim that you believe in Jesus -- voila, you are a Xtian.

I don’t know what dictionary you’re looking at- Mine says this: Chritian-1) of, pertaining to, or derived from Jesus Christ or his teachings. 2)of, pertaining to or adhering to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ. Again, by this definition the KKK and Neo Nazi’s are NOT Chritians.

   By contrast, atheism is defined specifically as “disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.” Claiming to be an atheist by professing a belief in god is an outright contradiction.

I’m not seeing the point you are trying to score here...

Acting on the belief is the proof, not the merely claiming it...

   Further, if you believe that President Bush is commiting “atrocities” by trying to wipe out terrorism and dictatorships then to this debate I say “Why bother?” You are lost in more ways than one ;o)

What terrorism? Iraq? -- No connection to the discusison. If you think so, I’d like to see your proof -- as would most of the rest of the world.

OBL? -- At large. Shrub was/is pretty ineffectual on that score.

   I believe Bush is an honest Christian and I’m actually proud to have him as President...to which you and I now diverge with not hope of reconciliation

Yeah, I’ll agree that there is no hope of agreement there.

   If I were truly myopic I would not have even paid attention to this little discussion. Peace is a great goal, but not while millions worldwide are suffering and oppressed by evil dictators.

Well if you feel that way about it -- can we send you the multibillion dollar bill?
Why not? I have to pay for many social programs here at home I don’t agree with anyway.

   If so than how do you explain the history of the last century to ME?

A lot of the suffering and war in human history has its roots in clashing religious beliefs. Didn’t the Nazis call the Jews “Christ killers”?

Yes they did and they were Nazi’s, not true Chritians per the definition above.

Justin