 Off-Topic / Debate / 22463
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:04:22 GMT

When a conservative uses the term "traditional family", I believe that they
are referring to a 1 male, 1 women {married} household.  This model can be
traced all the way back to the teaching of Jesus.

Let's see:

1. Mary, unemployed, but that's okay
2. Joseph, employed, but later disappears from all record
3. James, child by marriage
4. Jesus, child by a contemporaneous extramarital union who
   grows up to be executed for sedition

Doesn't sound like a traditional model to me.

I see nothing wrong with such a model-- in fact, I challenge you to present
a more stable, successful one.

It must be accepted that we haven't yet had a good sample size of
"non-traditional" family models expressly because Conservatives work night and
day to prevent such unions from having an equal footing.  Also, there's no
evidence to show that same-sex unions are inherently inclined to yield unstable
households.  I grant that single-parent homes are problematic, but that's not
necessarily due to the single-parenthood as much as the fact of a single-income,
so the problem is economic rather than familial in that case.

Dave!