 Off-Topic / Debate / 22416
Re: Holy crap! Four out of five scientists claim....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:31:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   We’ve been down that road before. Science specifically places no faith in much of anything - not even results, which is why experiments are duplicated to see if the same results are obtained by a different set of senses. New information can rock the “faith” every day. Helluva way to run a religion. :-)

I know this is ploughed ground; I was specifically referring to the creation of the universe. Either God started it, or it simply started itself (neither theory is “scientific”)

Science does not pretend to have the answer to the origin of the universe. It has speculation, to be sure, and some ideas on how the creation of the universe progressed. ) It’s one of those questions that we don’t see the answer to now, but from a different vantage point may become clear.

What I am saying is that this particular question is unique and cannot, by definition, be answered by Science.

   What you saying is that since science doesn’t have an answer at the moment, it will never come up with one.

Science will never come up with the answer period. Any speculation about the origin of the universe is pure flattery. Even if Science could prove that the entire universe began with all matter compressed into a sphere the size of a golf ball, it still can offer no explanation as to where matter came from in the first place.

So my point was that either: 1. stuff magically appeared, or: b. it was created by God who magically appeared. Both are faith events outside the bounds of Science.

   I root for any Piratical football team (Bucs and Raiders). 2nd on the list is anything medieval. If only they’d lose those stupid horned helmets....

lol I wish you could attend a home game once-- it is a hoot. Our mascot, who is this wild man dressed as a Viking, rides around the stadium on a purple Harley (with the exhaust miked!) When he tires of riding that, he mounts his purple snowmobile and rides that around the artifical grass. It’s nuts!

   And that’s tour de farce, to you! :-)

I stand corrected, and in awe:-)

JOHN