 Off-Topic / Debate / 22404
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 21:22:05 GMT

   I have to believe that God is good. Anything done in God’s name that isn’t good is suspect IMO. A fig tree bears figs, not dates. A Godly person’s work is good, not evil.

I know that you have to believe this, but I have to believe that I have sufficient gas in the tank to make it to the next fueling station. Saying that I have to believe something is basically equivalent to saying I really really really want to believe it.

However, my super-duper rhetorical abilities tell me that this isn’t quite what you meant. But can you accept that, to an outsider, this kind of statement of religious faith is a logical weakness rather than strength. In essence, you’re using the god-of-the-gaps argument, saying “I don’t/can’t know about (insert unknowable thing here), so I’ve decided to believe (insert belief) about (unknowable thing).”

   But it’s also (and probably not coincidentally) the period of greatest technological advancement in human history; the downside is that our societal development has not kept pace.

We have replaced God with machines. We need both.

I don’t have any need of God, just as I have no need of ghosts or astrology. I don’t mean that to seem carelessly cruel or dismissive; I’m trying to reduce the question to its essence, in my view.

   But can you say that every Jew murdered in the holocaust was killed by an atheist? Every serf killed under Stalin’s campaign was killed by an atheist? Every citizen massacred by Pol Pot was killed by an atheist? I would suggest that, although the dictators themselves rejected/suppressed religion, it is unlikely that all of their followers were equally atheistic. Therefore, the actions of those non-atheist murderers must be explained before atheism can uniquely be condemned for genocidal mania of this kind.

I have no use for highlighting the barbarism of atheists but to merely point out that atheism isn’t an advancement on religion.

Perhaps my point wasn’t clear: these atrocities, though initiated by atheists, weren’t actually committed by atheists, and one must explain how a religious person could commit such acts before these acts can be blamed on atheists. “I was following orders given by an atheist” isn’t sufficient answer, alas.

   You may indeed be correct, especially in the light of today’s muslim terrorists who adhere to an understanding that is, for all intents and purposes, 500 years behind the times. They certainly are using technology to murder as efficiently as they can.

But were all of the US pilots who dropped bombs that killed Iraqi and Afghan civilians also atheists? It’s true the bottom line of that war wasn’t religion, but the fact that US pilots were acting on behalf of a nominally secular government doesn’t exonerate them from being people of faith who nonetheless killed innocent civilians, intentionally or otherwise.

   I will never know until I die for certain whether what I believe is in fact true. I don’t question my faith, because it is my faith that gives me hope. It gives me strength; it gives me purpose. If I don’t have that, I loose my reason for existing.

My “reason” to continue existing is to enjoy the time that circumstance affords me. Additionally, another “reason” to continue existing is to increase happiness of others. I enjoy existing, and my observations have led me to conclude that others likewise enjoy existing; therefore, part of my “reason” for existing is to help increase that enjoyment in others.

Nothing in my entire experience has led me to conclude that there is anything transcendent or metaphysical about my “reason” for existing.

   It is not intellectually dishonest at all to stop questioning it, because my intellect does me no good in the arena of the infinite. I think it is intellectually dishonest to reject the concept of God because of lack of proof when in fact by definition this is not possible.

Indeed it is sometimes intellectually dishonest to reject something solely for lack of proof, but not always. If I told you that God committed a fundamentally evil act, would you believe me, even if I lacked proof? Probably not, because that evil act would be a direct contradiction to your concept of God and therefore a logical impossibility for you.

However, to say that I reject the existence of God is not quite correct. Instead, I do not accept the existence of God, at least not based on any argument or evidence or experience I’ve ever known. The lack of acceptance of a thing is not the same as the rejection of that thing. This is a subtle point, but it’s essential.

   Further, it is Science that is intellectually dishonest by not acknowledging its own leap of faith with respect to the origin of the universe. Belief in God and belief in Science both require faith.

Yeah, but all of my experience tells me that, the overwhelming majority of the time, my senses give a sufficiently accurate perception of reality to make assumptions based on that experience. It is a much smaller leap of faith to say “I believe that my perceptions are consistent with my experience” than to say “An omnipotent transcendent infinite eternal entity created the universe and every atom in it but left us no evidence of that act of creation.”

Further, such an occluded God would be a deceptive God, and I wouldn’t call deception a pure good.

   I would assert when religion is eradicated, something replaces it, and that something is not necessarily better.

I would agree with that. Sometimes the replacement is better, sometimes it’s worse, and sometimes it’s just another religion.

I”m curious. Have you an example in mind of a replacement that is better IRL?

Respect for fellow creatures would go a long way toward answering that question. Intellectually honest pursuit of scientific truth would be another good suggestion (by which I mean science unencumbered by corporate or idealogical agendas, for example).

   Can I, as an atheist, work to the betterment of humanity without doing God’s work?

Very interesting question. It is certainly possible in part. But I would have to ask-- what would be the motivation for doing so?

For the most selfish reason of all--because it feels “right” for me to act that way. If it can be demonstrated to me that this is the incorrect course, then intellectual honesty would impel me to amend my behavior. For example, it has been demonstrated to me that capital punishment is wrong; therefore, I no longer accept the death penalty as an appropriate response to wrongdoing.

   Though much of doing God’s work involves meeting people’s physical needs, the Gospel also provides for people’s spiritual needs-- namely Hope, Comfort, Courage, Strength. Such wouldn’t be provided by an atheist I would imagine. Existentialism is a hard sell;-)

Amusingly, I took a “What’s your belief” quiz at Belief.net, and I scored higher on the Christian scale and also on the “generally spiritual” scale than three born-again Christians whom I know. Either that test was really messed up, or they were!

Dave!