 Off-Topic / Debate / 22399
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:24:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Therefore, the actions of those non-atheist murderers must be explained before atheism can uniquely be condemned for genocidal mania of this kind.

I must take exception to this hypothetical. It has in no way been shown that atheists have any special attraction towards genocide; whereas by contrast, I have elsewhere shown that people of the many Jewish or Xtian faiths must at least admit that a myth involving genocide is central to their faith.

   If the answer is “faith” once again, then I can only infer that the statement “I have faith” is the same as “I’ve stopped questioning it.” That, to me, is the height of intellectual dishonesty, if only to oneself.

Truer words were never written.

-- Hop-Frog

And on this we disagree. Up until now I’ve been on the side of angels--I mean Bruce and Hoppy. However, faith does not exclude questions. I question everything I am able, and have become quite disenfranchised with ‘Religion’. This does not, in any way, shape and form, diminish my faith in God.

Hence, as a Christian, I’m pretty much willing to wrestle with any and all issues to come to a better understanding.

Understanding doesn’t necessarily need to be in the ‘scientific realm’. I can better my understanding of ideas that exist outside the scope of science by questioning.

Dave K