 Off-Topic / Debate / 22269
Re: Moving without context
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, lugnet.space, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 20:49:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
So why move it?

In lugnet.trains, Tony Alexander wrote:
     I moved it, because I didn't think of that ("it's inappropriate of you to move this to debate"), and because it wasn't really
about trains.

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
I think it was totally inappropriate to move it, actually, and especially in
what is a sort of deceptive way.... setting FUT to a group that you aren't
actually posting to yourself is sort of leaving a trap for the responder... ala
"my remarks are important to the group that started this thread, but YOURS
aren't and in fact, I'm going to make your post out of context because I didn't
copy the group I shunted you off to on what I had to say so yours will just
appear there"
OK, everyone.
     This wasn't my intent.  I didn't want anyone to look bad.  I didn't want to
push anyone's arguments into another thread to make them seem unimportant. I
didn't realize that moving this was deceptive (as this post can still be seen in
.trains).  And I didn't realize that moving it to .off-topic would be such a big
deal.  If this is bad manners, then somebody out there had better make a good
manners FAQ, because nobody mentioned this to me before; I didn't intend for
this to be bad manners, but apparently it is.
     This bit of the thread was about how a poster was being treated, not about
trains; therefore, I did what I thought was logical and moved it, since it was
"off" the "topic" of trains, not knowing that there are 'rules' out there for
having done so and how this would be taken.
     I didn't post this to .space.
     All I wanted to do was point out that I thought Gregory Overkamp wasn't
being treated with the respect that I thought was inherent in this community.
He posted something I thought directly related to trains in the .trains
newsgroup, and was essentially told that he didn't belong because he's not
realistic enough.  Was it bad manners for me to address that?  I don't know.  I
thought it was bad manners to treat his fantasy approach to trains as not really
worthy of being posted in .trains, and I said so.  Along the way, I've
apparently made some mistakes; for these, I apologize, but I also wish I would
have known something about this beforehand.
     I've been following Lugnet for several years, and have enjoyed the
community, the intriguing MOCs, the energy, and the general respect for those at
ALL levels of expertise and talent.  I've also always been amazed that so many
apparent 'rules' for behavior, posting, cross-posting, moving, and so on exist
but are never really explained.  There's a group of frequent posters who know
all this, and it seems assumed that we all should know all these unspoken
'rules', no matter our level of involvement.
     So I'm an ill-mannered bumpkin with no rights (as a member of this
community and a "generic reader") to object to ill-treatment of others.  I'm
breaking the rules, but nobody's explained them.

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Very bad mannered in my view.
     So now the little "generic reader" has been chastised.
     I apologize for having offended you, Larry.  I intended a gentle reminder
about respect in our community, not a slander against your character.
     I apologize to Richard, Mark, Larry, and anyone else who thought I was
ill-mannered for changing the follow-up posts.  I did think about why I was
changing it, but without the malice it seems you all believe I had.  Apparently
innocent logic has failed me on this one.
     I still think people need to lighten up.  Lugnet is supposed to be about
fun, I thought (perhaps it's ill-mannered of me to assume this).  This has most
definitely NOT been fun.  But I'm not sorry for pointing out what I thought was
behavior inconsistent with the level of respect I thought was a normal part of
this community.  If how I did this, including my unwitting mistakes, makes me
poor-mannered, then I guess I am.  So be it.
     I'm not going to run away or stop posting, I'm not going to stop
frequenting Lugnet, and I'm not going to stop giving my opinion.  Maybe we'll
all be able to play together a little better in the future, and maybe not.
We'll see.
     I hope you all have a good day.  Sincerely.  And may each day be better
than the one before it.  Sincerely.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander
Ill-Mannered Bumpkin