 Off-Topic / Debate / 22249
Re: The partisian trap in California
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 02:37:06 GMT

Scott:

I might be one of the few people that might respond to this, so I will. But in reality this subject is just a sideshow. Sadly, this probably has at least a little to do with the way many Californians are going to vote the way they will next week.

I think the subject is wholly uninteresting. It wasn’t interesting with Clinton and it’s not a lot more interesting now with Arnold. Clinton’s thing suggests to me that he and his wife have an open marriage -- of course, in our culture it would be political suicide for them to admit that fact so she plays wronged wife to his contrite womanizer, a string of affairs trailing behind him. Right -- just as boring to me as to you. Arnold is maybe a little more interesting because there is a pattern of maltreating near strangers -- which I find bizarre and presumptuous beyond all reckoning. To put it another way, Clinton was at least having some kind of relationship with these various women; by contrast, Arnold seems to just attack a woman on whim. Frankly, I find Clinton’s behavior generally understandable, while I find Arnold’s behavior completely reprehensible. Clinton has relationships while Arnold seems to behave almost like a rapist. But whatever, who can know the truth of these wild allegations one hears about from time to time. It doesn’t much matter to me.

Before you complain that Arnold is being treated unfairly by the media let me assure you that this much airtime, for good or ill, makes him far and away the most recognizable name on the ballot -- even if he were not a famous international star, which he is! The media’s intense interest in Arnold’s bid for governor has become a de facto endorsement precisely because of all the free air time this bozo is getting. I would not be the least surprised by his winning the governorship next week, not at all.

If you want my previous opinion on the recall read here: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=22209

To what was stated there I would merely add that I would never in a million years vote for Arnold. Frankly, beyond his running as a Republican I have no idea what he stands for or what he intends to do. And I’m sorry, but I probably don’t even trust my own mother to do a thing on my behalf without first having some discussion on the subject -- and Arnold is mum on nearly everything. I heard about some vague statement about 100 days to figure out what to do. Yeah, that’s great take your time -- it’s not as if your candidacy required you to be more forthcoming with your views on anything. It’s ridiculous. With all the D.C. people behind him I would trust Arnold with the CA’s economy about as much as I trust Shrub with the U.S. economy -- which is not very far at all. Granted, Arnold cannot probably start a costly war, but all the bills have to paid somehow don’t they. Even McClintock thinks Arnold will simply raise taxes.

See and that’s the weird thing -- why didn’t Republicans get behind McClintock? He’s the one that represents true Republican ideas and values. I personally find him unworthy of my vote, but he’s a perfect 100% Republican. And here’s the thing: if Republicans aren’t siding with the champion of their ideals, what are they lining up to vote for in Arnold? “Sheep to the slaughter,” says I. I have seen enough stuff to confirm for myself that Arnold is just a puppet Republican. Much like the motive behind the recall itself, Republicans simply cannot tolerate that they should not have the CA governor in their collective pocket. Arnold can win it for them. That does not make him the right man for the job.

The real partisan trap is voting for either of the two parties in our so far two party system. Nothing will ever get done that way. Break that system now and forever. Vote for the person whose ideas most closely reflect your own thoughts on how to run California.

Dave! has commented here before on the myth of Republican fiscal responsibility. I mention it because you have suggested that a person to raise taxes is NOT your man. Well, Shrub is running up costs that will force taxes up either under his leadership or that of his presidential successor. For the Nth time we have a record deficit, not thanks to Shrub’s nonsensical war. Wilson raised taxes in CA also. But the bills will have to be paid somehow, sometime. Why trust a party that speaks out of both sides of its mouth. And by all means do not vote Democrat -- what a bunch of fools they have been of late. The democrats are woefully unfocused.

I would highly recommend that you go to Camejo’s site and read about the ideas for which he stands. Maybe he will not cut your taxes, but he may not raise them any more than absolutely necessary either. It may surprise you to learn that he and McClintock agree on some things concerning the state budget, so he may also not be the mythical liberal “tax and spend” type that you may fear.

All I know is that Democrats and Republicans are both tax and spend types. I haven’t yet saved a dime under either party, not such that I have been able to count it and credit such a savings to either side of the partisan divide. To heck with these status quo career politicians that dig ever deeper into our pockets.

If I seem to have Democratic, or liberal, leanings it is only because my love of freedom and concern for certain social issues places me squarely against the Republican agenda of Xtian control. Interestingly, I am not always in favor of the Democrats social agenda in all respects, but more often than not I find myself supporting their side of an issue because it is only Democrats and Republicans that fill our legislatures. If it were otherwise, you’d find my support for different things going to different parties. Just like the salad bar, I pick and choose. Taking it one step further, I’d like to focus for just one minute on how our system of government is not really designed to foster a particular social agenda. In fact, the law should be generally neutral on such matters. Blind justice is what we should have and it is precisely that for which I will continue to fight. Freedom, contrary to what I heard someone on TV say the other night, is not a license. Freedom supercedes the law. Freedom is the justification for the law.

For years I have been throwing my vote away on losers. It is only be doing so that we shall ever have other than a Democrat or Republican as governor or president. To me, that’s job one -- make sure that everyone understands that the free ride is over. That we citizens will vote for ideas and not a party.

Otherwise you might as well bend over and grit your teeth right now. Oh yeah, and get out your checkbook, because you will have to pay for that service too!

-- Hop-Frog