 Off-Topic / Debate / 22209
22208  |  22210
Subject:
CA Recall Election Comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 22:51:07 GMT

I wrote this last night...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Huffington is a smart lady, but after tonight’s debate I am finding her a little shallow and divisive. It’s not that I really disagree with what she has to say, it’s just that she seems to go about certain things by first pointing the finger at those she perceives as blameworthy. I also found some of her rhetoric a little redundant and shortsighted. Whereas she had the opportunity to expand her message, she kept to things we have already heard from her before.

“What I find amazing is that Republicans really do not believe that morality applies to businesses. Morality for them is just sexual morality, and I think it’s time -- you know, Arnold mentioned the three strikes and you’re out law; I’d like a three-strike and you’re out when it comes to corporate felons.” -- Huffington

Bustamante is the joke from Davis HQ. I see voting for Cruz B. as a throwaway vote for status quo. While I don’t specifically blame Davis for much of what is being laid at his doorstep, he certainly hasn’t done much damage control either. Cruz is simultaneously trying to support Davis while putting forward independent message for himself. Frankly, I don’t believe him or trust him. That said, I agree with his stated positions on many issues.

Arnold is the joke from D.C. Anyone that doesn’t understand the forces behind this unworthy candidate is just not looking very hard at this joker. In a word: Schultzie! No thanks, and please just go back to where you crawled out from underneath...I can’t believe he might win. What we have here is further proof of how many idiots are running around. It’s just appalling. Schwarzenegger told Huffington, “I would just like to say that I just realized that I have a perfect part for you in ‘Terminator 4.‘” By this I think he meant that he would hold her by the ankles and dunk her head in a toilet. Nice guy. Of course, Huffington was after him like a dog with bone.

McClintock is the true extreme right-winger amongst those that have a chance. That’s not much of a chance BTW. I’ll give him this though: he seems to really believe much of what he says and I do trust him to carry through with what appear to be his own intellectually honest opinions. Of course, I oppose almost everything out of his mouth, so no joy from me. But I do find his seeming forthrightness refreshing. This would be the candidate for whom my SO’s family will tend to vote, thereby negating anything I may do by opposing me. In order to engage Arnold, among others, he made this statement:

“What makes you think that $8 billion in tax increases is going to do anything differently than when Pete Wilson raised taxes $7 billion in 1991? Those taxes broke the back of the economy and turned recession into near depression, and we actually ended up collecting $1 billion less total revenue after those tax increases than we had been collecting before they had gone into effect.”

The candidate that to my mind never says a wrong thing with one major exception is Camejo, the Green Party candidate. The guy rocks! At the same time he will win this recall only when hell freezes over, or so the polls would indicate. I agree with almost everything he has stated on his website http://www.votecamejo.org/; my one huge point of disagreement is his position on guns. Even so, that topic is not the biggest issue facing the state and many would oppose him doing anything meaningful to advance gun control anyway -- so, I’m not too worried about it. I’ll probably toss my vote away voting Green as I have done so many times before.

I’m actually voting no to the recall. But not because of whatever Daryl Issa may have to say about it. The whole democratic election system we have in place has been the victim of an attempted hijack by Issa, the millionaire Republican who financed the recall drive in the first place. Now this jerk is telling voters to reject the recall. Why? Because it appears that the two leading Republicans may split the vote and give us another Democrat. On the record, this complete idiot has made his naked partisan ambitions plain. I oppose that kind of abuse of the system even if I don’t actually favor Davis’ brand of governorship. And by association, I oppose the republican candidates reflexively -- it’s very clear to me that our democratic process is under attack now in CA the same as it was during the last presidential election in Florida.

I am saying no to the hijackers -- be they terrorists on planes, or republicans trying to overcome otherwise fair election results. Just say no. They like those short soundbites, they fit easily into little republican heads!

You can all laugh at me about how badly Camejo faired after the election. As is usual for me, I am going to vote with my heart and mind, casting all thoughts of anti-republican strategy to the wind. Anyway, I would never vote against a candidate of either party -- I vote for the person I think should win.

That said, I may make an exception next time for president -- depending on how things go I may hold my nose and vote in a democrat. I can only hope they have the obvious problems with the Diebold voting machines worked out by then. Paper receipts and a correctable trail might be nice -- it just may keep these jerky republicans honest.

-- Hop-Frog