 Off-Topic / Debate / 22142
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:39:01 GMT

   I deny the validity of that point--an armed citizenry was valid for preserving freedom in the 18th century against a king who wanted to take that freedom away, but for those of us living in a long running democracy, now in the 21st century, armed citizens *do not* preserve the freedom. You haven’t needed a gun to vote. Your pappa didn’t need a gun to vote, your great granddaddy didn’t need a gun to vote. Not in this century (3 years old) nor the previous century, did you need a gun to defend your right to vote, to defend your democracy from your fellow citizen, to defend America from Americans.

Your gun in your house takes away the freedom of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness of 25 thousand individuals per year.

I’ll even grant you the ‘suicide clause’ and knock that number to 11,000. Does the violent homicidal deaths of 11,000 people equal your right to keep a gun in your house?

For me, the answer is a resounding no, for I like my fellow citizens too much to play with their lives on the *no* chance that my gun will be used sometime in a future generation (even though it hasn’t been needed in the past couple of generations) to “protect” my freedoms.

Just admit that you want the gun for no valid rational reason except for personal wants and desires. You want the gun so you can talk about ‘brain lead’ and ‘outta my cold dead hands’. Admitting that is the first step.

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=22112

And yet you still have not addressed the post linked above. Throughout history there has never been a democracy where the citizenry was unarmed. Even in Canada, Britian, and Austrailia you still have armed citizenries. Nixion left office, my right to vote, politicians obeying the durration of their terms, etc. occur becuase the people have the ability to force it, not because we have to force it.

-Mike Petrucelli