 Off-Topic / Debate / 22125
Re: Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:46:03 GMT

<snip>

I was with you (abstinence education as the sole path is a terrifically stupid
approach) till this last bit, how's this a first amendment violation again? Free
speech isn't free, remember, you the speaker have to pay for it. There is no
obligation for the state to fund particular sorts of speech.

It might be a violation of the equal protection clause, or the freedom of
religion (no law respecting...) clause... I haven't analysed it in enough detail
to assert that, just tossing it out.

However, having the gov't making a 'judgement' about where your tax dollars go
based, as far as I can see, only on a 'Christian moral value', therefore
excluding other groups who don't want to preach the Christian ethic, sounds like
an infringement.  You either fund the different 'views' of sex ed, or you fund
none of them.

Still not seeing it. Let's take the general (moral position) case here for a
sec.

Consider if the government said in a policy statement "we prefer if people pay
their debts rather than dodge their creitors". That's a moral statement. Does
the government have the obligation to fund random people so that they can say
"no, people ought to ignore their monetary debts and not pay them"?

I say no. The government can take moral positions and you cannot attack the
government for NOT funding advocacy of other positions ON FREE SPEECH GROUNDS
(emphasis added).

You certainly can on separation of church and state grounds in the case of
abstinence education (and DARE training and a host of others), and you should.

But be careful how you argue because if you argue on free speech grounds when it
isn't really applicable, you weaken the argument for everyone. And this is
annoying enough of a policy idea (do I smell Mr. Ashcroft's wing of the party at
work here?) that it matters.

Don't use bad arguments, please.