 Off-Topic / Debate / 22119
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:24:28 GMT

   60 percent of the violent deaths in your country in the year 2000, according to this website were due to *just* firearms. That leaves 40 percent for all other forms of violent death combined, including knives, axes, rope, baseball bats, and let’s not ferget driving over spouses with vehicles.

So what?

All you’ve done is show that people are smart enough to use the best tool for a certain task -- if you intend to kill someone a gun is a good choice for that job. In a sense, if you could eliminate a person’s motivation to kill you would reduce the murder rate, regardless of the advent of guns. Sadly, people do like to kill themselves and each other.

What about the traffic? Why does the fact that it’s largely accidental not cause you any worries? I mean, I did mean it as a joke but it does have it’s serious side.

BTW, how many people die of firearm incidents that might have otherwise have been non-lethal but for the absense of a national healthcare system and/or adequately speedy medical treatment for the victim? I find that an interesting question. I am trying to distinguish people that are dead on the spot from those that die of some other complication even if it’s just bleeding to death.

If I were to ever kill someone, which generally would never happen unless I was somehow forced to it, I would go for the incapacitating chest shot and then the many shots to lethal locations like the head and heart. Efficiency is my middle name...

-- Hop-Frog