 Off-Topic / Debate / 22117
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:32:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim David wrote:
   Surely this means that the figures for gun related crimes do not include all the of the actual harm caused by the guns (or people using them anyway) thus a comaprison of figures would be skewed.

I always see the term “gun related deaths” used when I see these kinds of statistics. I have no idea whether there’s a criminal factor in the assessment of the deaths at all -- frankly, why should there be?

I think its possible that you are assuming a fact not in evidence in the manner in which you raise your issue. What makes you think the stats are based on a criminal assessment of the event?

I went here: http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate10.html and set the markers for:
1. all intents
2. firearm
3. 2000-2000

Results:
Number of Deaths: 28,663
Population: 275,264,999

If you specify “violence related,” and by which I infer that a criminal cause has already been established (including suicide), the number of deaths is 27,657.

If you specify “suicide” the number of deaths is 16,586

If you specify “Undetermined intent” the number of deaths is 230.

If you specify “Unintentional” the number of deaths is 776.

If you specify “Homicide and Legal intervention” the number of deaths, not including “suicide,” is 11,071. Compare to Scotland for the year 1999 at 6. Then again, Scotland only has 5 million persons compared to our many more millions. But sure, the percentage is more for the U.S.

If you specify “Transportation-Related, overall” the number of deaths is 46,509.

Basically, we can save 4 times plus the number of people dying “violence related” deaths not including suicide if we just stop transporting things around...

Stop the traffic! It’s killing us! :)

-- Hop-Frog