 Off-Topic / Debate / 22050
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:57:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   Well guess what, the gun crime rate in the U.S. is lower than it was 10 years ago.

Citation, please.

Online, I have no idea. Now in the papers, on the radio, on TV there have been numerous citations of studies which indicate that the crime rate as gone down but the brutality of crimes that do happen has increased, giving the overall impression that crime has risen.

I would add to that the media slogan “if it bleeds, it leads” in terms of priority of news coverage. At least one study has demonstrated that murder rates have gone down by something like 18% over some recent period of time, but news coverage of murders has increased by 800% during that same period. This, too, gives the impression that violent crime has been on the rise. I’ll dig up the details of the study, if I can.

However, your argument presents problems for your central thesis (ie, that incidence of gun crime is independent of gun legislation). Specifically, you’re asserting that crime rates have gone down (though you don’t specify a timeframe or a region of study--admittedly, I may simply have missed that part of your previous posts). However, during the last decade or so, numerous gun-controlling regulations have been imposed, such as waiting periods for purchase, enhanced background checking, and the like. You are arguing, in effect, that the incidence of gun crime has decreased concurrent with increase in gun-control regulation. This seems a direct contrast to what I perceive as your intent, and you should probably account for it, if you wish to maintain the stance that gun crime is not lessened nor increased due to legislation.

Dave!