 Off-Topic / Debate / 21810
Re: Saving the Xtian Church From Itself
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:42:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

   “SODOMY” is not a biblical word. Laws against sodomy not only violate the Constitutional guarantee of separation of church and state; they also use an incorrect and wrongly translated term for the laws. A “Sodomite” in the Bible is simply a person who lives in Sodom, which included Lot and his family. The term “sodomite” in the King James Version of Deuteronomy 23:17 and I Kings 14:24 is an incorrect translation of the Hebrew word for “temple prostitute.” (See the recent book by Mark D. Jordan: The Invention of Sodomy in Christian Theology. University of Chicago Press, 1997.)

The average person assumes that the Bible clearly condemns male to male sexual intercourse as “sodomy” and that the city of Sodom was destroyed because of homosexuality, which is seen as the worst of all sins in the Bible. These assumptions are based on no evidence at all in the Bible.

Interesting, but perhaps you can explain some inconsistencies with that explanation. Not all Christian religions use the King James version of the bible - certainly the Catholics don’t (and their views on homosexuality differ little from most Protestants), and I would imagine that Eastern/Greek/etc Orthodox don’t, either. For that matter, the King James version of the bible I would imagine is not used by non-english speaking countries. Thus, the set who depend on it are english-speaking Protestants. So...how do all the other Christian religions view homosexuality and why, since they are not depending on some mistranslation by the council that produced the King James version? Or the same religions in different, non-english speaking countries?

-->Bruce<--