 Off-Topic / Debate / 21792
    Re: The War That Never Ends —Richard Marchetti
   (...) And the enemy was actually defeatable, unlike now. Also, I don't see that Jefferson limited citizens rights during this period; but if I am in error I stand ready to be educated of that fact. I am not wholly unwilling to make some compromises (...) (21 years ago, 2-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: The War That Never Ends —Bruce Schlickbernd
   (...) Well, no, the Barbary Pirates were like cockroachs. They hung around for quite some time despite numerous people trying to wipe them out. Once the Pax Brittanica began they were finally surpressed (another parallel for your example with the (...) (21 years ago, 2-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

        Re: The War That Never Ends —John Neal
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote (...) I will grant that the threat isn't demonstrable, except of course, the carnage perpetrated on 9-11. The problem is that the potential threat is so horrific that if it isn't pre-emptively (...) (21 years ago, 3-Aug-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)