 Off-Topic / Debate / 21590
Re: Let's beat him with 700 clubs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:58:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Well, at least he’s not actually in a position of any real power. You can’t prevent people from choosing what they want to listen to or regard as a valuable resource. I know Pat Robertson is painfully offensive for many of us, but you will find a big place in the hearts of many for their chosen “pardoner.”

I definitely agree that people can listen to whatever they want (though it’s a shame that Pat doesn’t feel the same way). However, I question whether he (as head of the Christian Coalition (of the willing?) truly has no power. Within the last decate he made moves toward founding his own party, which would have stripped the Republicans of their most reliable voter base. It is widely, and not too unreasonably, suspected that the push toward ultra-conservative court-packing is an appeasement gesture. What do far-right-wingers care if Gray Davis runs California for a few years, when they get dozens of ultra-conservative judicial appointees-for-life?

   Personally I have zero use for him, although I do sometimes watch his show to see the kinds of madness that the extreme right is buying into -- there’s this whole news coverage portion of the show. Scary, ain’t it? I haven’t even seen the show in months though. I wouldn’t know where to find it even if I did want to see it. That must be a good sign.

I work with otherwise intelligent people who firmly believe that Clinton personally killed Vince Foster, and that WoMD have already been found in Iraq. Under other circumstances I’d find Robertson’s gafla simply laughable, but insanity in quantity becomes a political force.

   Plus I thought he had “Colin” cancer. I mean, I’m supposed to object that a bad person is going to probably have a natural and painful death? Pat knows that “ye reap what ye sow.”

Much like Limbaugh’s one-week-worth-of-permanent-hearing-loss. Darn the advancement of medical science!

Dave!