 Off-Topic / Debate / 2148
Re: Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:53:59 GMT

John DiRienzo wrote:

  All right John,
   Here is Moz' original post that I was referring to:
No. Theft is at the core of Christian beliefs. For starters the prohibition
of ursury (that is, allowing market forces to set interest rates), the
various requirements to be your brothers keeper (the church sanctions the
theft of your property to support your brother). And don't start me on
tithing, especially as traditionally done by the church when it is very
much extortion. That's just some easy ones off the top of my head.

John Neal wrote in message <37D5C0DC.FDA80880@uswest.net>...
John DiRienzo wrote:
  Whats wrong with you?  You seem to understand that the church does • steal
from those who belong to it (by choice, even), and you object about that.

How can you call a gift stealing?

   Based on what he said, which relates to the traditional role of the
church (which may have changed a lot in the last 100-500 years) basically
all of the things he mentioned were *requirements* for members.  They were
rules, and if you broke them, you get kicked out - (in some situations, that
also meant getting kicked out of the country you lived in, or thrown in
prison).  Today, in the US at least, you have choice, but are still expected
to *fund* the church you belong to.

What's wrong with a church which you CHOSE to belong to setting
requirements on that belonging? As far as I am aware, there is nothing
in the U.S. (and most European countries) REQUIRING you to belong to a
church. WHy shouldn't the church collect momey to support itself, in
fact, you are "stealing" if you wish to avail yourself of the churches
services without contributing to that church (of course if the church
feels you are "deserving" of charity, then they may chose to extend
those services to you without cost, or for a reduced cose).

Now the church of old is a different story.

But you don't understand that governments do the exact same thing (some
times in conjunction with one church or another) and have no objection to
that whatsoever?  In fact you support that theft, but get upset about it
when a church does it.  Any church or government uses the same ethic • (give
us your money which we can use to help those who (supposedly) need it • better
than you can) to steal your money.  Why do you object to one and not the
other?

They are different.  Churches collect money *voluntarily* to assist those • in
need.  The gov collects money whether you like it or not.  If I don't
contribute to the offering plate, so what?  If I don't contribute to the • IRS,
they (gov) use force to take it from me.  So how are these two scenarios • "the
exact same thing"?

   Your right, church and government are not the exact same thing - but the
things he disliked about the church, he likes in a government - the same
things, principles, expectations, etc.  I still don't know why he feels that
way.  Just because the church has lost a lot of its power to the various
governments of the world doesn't change the fact that it acts in the same
way as those governments.  It can also be mentioned that if you are not a
good upstanding member of whatever church you belong to you will burn in
hell forever, which is another method of taking property by force.

Only if you grant "the church"/"god" the power condemn you to hell. If
you don't grant this power, then you needn't let the church "steal" from
you. If you do grant this power, then it seems to me that you accept the
premise of that church, and should then accept the requirement to
contribute.

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com