 Off-Topic / Debate / 21417
Re: Yahoo Sucks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:27:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Max Maxwell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

If you care, just today Yahoo deleted my e-mail and Geocities account and web
page, for no apparant reason. They claim I have violated their TOS, but I am
certain I have not. Unless they refer to the fact that on my links page, I
have placed links to numerous other search engines other than Yahoo, or
companies that do not sponsor Yahoo.

Is that against their ToS? It sounds like you believe that it actually is.

No, I have read the ToS, twice, and I am sure it is not a violation. And I was
sure the point of the internet was to connect all web pages anywhere in the
world, and not to discourage doing so.
Then, it would be completely unfair and
uncalled for, and violating my 1st Amendment rights.

What 1st amendment rights are you referring to in this context?

Freedom of speech.
But, they leave no way
for me to resolve or appeal what they have done.

Is this in accordance with their documented process?

What do I do? Go to California, hire a lawyer, and appeal in court? I don't have
the time or money. Anyway, I've determined I'll just get a new email account
elsewhere.
So, my account and web pages
(only 2, but still) are lost forever.

Lost forever? You have no backups on local storage?

Email certainly is lost forever. Backups of web pages, though. I just hate
uploading them.
It
may be a free service, but removing my site is ridiculous for expressing that
I like to use search engines other than Yahoo.

Is that against their ToS or isn't it? Your complaint here seems to be that on a
site paid for by them, they have a problem with you advertising their
competition? Is that the net?

It is certainly not against the ToS, unless I misunderstood them somehow.
I'm just curious, do you enter Megabloks models in LEGO model contests?

No.

What I want to say through all this is that what I wish Yahoo had done is
contact me with what I have specifically done wrong, and how I can resolve the
problem and a time period in which to do so. I do think this is reasonable
enough to ask. For a time period, 24 hours seems PLENTY reasonable to me.