 Off-Topic / Debate / 21379
Re: Yahoo Sucks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:15:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Max Maxwell wrote:
   Does anyone else out there hate Yahoo, especially Geocities? Their ads are relentless, customer service is non-existant, and replies to complaint and help emails are useless and written from a template! Does anyone agree/disagree with me, or am I alone on this subject?

I disagree. I do not hate Yahoo. I admire them.

Customer support costs money, and it costs a LOT of money to do well. That they can give you any at all for a free to you service, for an advertiser supported service, and still make money is nothing short of miraculous, and therefore admirable.

But I suspect you are not alone in complaining about something that’s free (except for the time you spend reading ads).

If you care, just today Yahoo deleted my e-mail and Geocities account and web page, for no apparant reason. They claim I have violated their TOS, but I am certain I have not. Unless they refer to the fact that on my links page, I have placed links to numerous other search engines other than Yahoo, or companies that do not sponsor Yahoo. Then, it would be completely unfair and uncalled for, and violating my 1st Amendment rights. But, they leave no way for me to resolve or appeal what they have done. So, my account and web pages (only 2, but still) are lost forever. Does this change your view at all? It may be a free service, but removing my site is ridiculous for expressing that I like to use search engines other than Yahoo. The complaints I made about the ads seem to pale in comparison.

Max