 Off-Topic / Debate / 21400
Re: Orrin Hatch: Software Pirate?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:47:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Costello wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

   How nice for Disney that they don’t have to pay someone for permission to use ideas that they then tweak to their own grotesque commercial purposes: Snow White, Cinderella, Robin Hood, Treasure Island (and Treasure Planet for that matter!) -- to name but a few.

It really ticks me off.

Arrrrr, but where would we be wi’out Robert Newton’s scenery-chewin’ iconic pyrate performance, ya swab! Pronouncin’ our Rs as Hs like some dandified lubber, ‘stead of pronouncing ‘em so far back in our throats that we near swallow ‘em, that’s where we’d be! Best decision them pyrates (takes one to know one, I be saying) at Disney ever made! Just think of what kind of image us corsairs, buccaneers, and freebooters would be having if’n they had chosen some sissy like Jonny Depp to play a pyrate. Arrrharharhar...what? Oh no.....

Is there a fairy tale that that Disney hasn’t destroyed? They were just waiting the required time period after Hans Christian Anderson’s death to rip off and destroy The Little Mermaid. I think Disney should be forced to give kids copies of the classic versions of the stories they twisted.

But is there any English major that likes Disney movies?

How about the rape of Stravinsky for Fantasia? His choice was to take $5,000 for the film rights or Disney would use the score anyway due to copyright enforcement problems. Then they cut it up and stuck in a bunch of dinosaurs instead of the proper pagan sacrificial rites.

Which, of course, I loved seeing as a kid at Graumann’s Chinese Theatre (none of this revisionist Mann’s nonsense). Is there an artist that doesn’t love the illusion of life?

-->Bruce<--