 Off-Topic / Debate / 21385
Re: Orrin Hatch: Software Pirate?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:50:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Orrin Hatch: Software Pirate?

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,59305,00.html

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) suggested Tuesday that people who download copyright materials from the Internet should have their computers automatically destroyed.

But Hatch himself is using unlicensed software on his official website, which presumably would qualify his computer to be smoked by the system he proposes.

The usual Republican “Do as we say, not as we do” thing. Hatch is one of these jerks that is actually suggesting extreme remedies like it being okay, sans judgement or even a court order, for a company to send someone a virus or whatever and destroy their computer because they downloaded a possibly copyright infringing piece of data.

What really has me confused about this whole thing is that Orrin Hatch a year ago called for a more flexible interpretation of the whole music copywrite laws so that file sharing would be allowed. I don’t understand his flip-flop, and I couldn’t disagree with him more. It really bugs me too, because I have always found Hatch to be one of the most reasonable guys in the senate. I just hope for his sake he sees the light.

   How nice for Disney that they don’t have to pay someone for permission to use ideas that they then tweak to their own grotesque commercial purposes: Snow White, Cinderella, Robin Hood, Treasure Island (and Treasure Planet for that matter!) -- to name but a few.

It really ticks me off.

Is there a fairy tale that that Disney hasn’t destroyed? They were just waiting the required time period after Hans Christian Anderson’s death to rip off and destroy The Little Mermaid. I think Disney should be forced to give kids copies of the classic versions of the stories they twisted.

But is there any English major that likes Disney movies?

Scott C.