 Off-Topic / Debate / 2137
Re: Voluntary, private discrimination (Was: Disparicies in Sentencing)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:31:17 GMT

Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote
Larry Pieniazek wrote:
1 - note that I DO support discrimination (that is, the right to
discriminate) by private individuals... just not by governments or their
agents.

Amen.  It just raises my ire when someone is forced into some action because
some First Amendment Nazis threaten court action to get it.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with both of you. Take hate crimes. I do think
they should be discriminated against. You fry someone for a string of 1st
degree murders? OK, so do something worse for a string of dead Jews.

On a lower level, should the government be allowed to help a business do
something the government is explicitly forbidden to do? Whether that be
toppling foreign governments or refusing service to blacks, should they be
allowed to do it?

Should you be required to date ethnic groups pro rata by their presence
in the general population? No, that's silly. Should you be punished for
being exceptionally rude to Slovaks? Yes, that's unreasonable behaviour,
worse than simple rudeness because it's group hate based behaviour.

The milder the bias the harder it is to defend it, or banning it. But
when we're talking serious crime does anyone really believe that killing
abortion doctors is no worse than killing random strangers?

Moz
Moz