 Off-Topic / Debate / 21348
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:30:40 GMT

   Your gun in your house will not take the weirdness out of your country. Ever.

I was going to sign off with that but just that line gots me ta thinkin’ (which is never a good thing...) That’s one of the bigger problems right there--“Oh I have my gun, so if things ‘go south’ I can rise up and join ‘the ol revolution’. Failing to consider that by participating in and helping society ‘before it goes south’ is a much better, and ‘more civilized’ option. Then again, I forget who I’m talking with--the US has always been more ‘reactive’ than ‘proactive’--like the kid, who, when sleighted, just lashes out at any convenient target.

Which always brings me back to the other idea--when you grow up, we’ll be here, waiting for you.

I was looking for a spot to jump in to this debate too, and I don’t know if this is it, but what the heck I will butt in anyway.

I know and understand the Jeffersonian arguement that citizens need to be armed against an oppressive government, but my take on the whole gun issue goes much deeper.

A couple of weeks ago here in Southern California a mother and son came home to find a man kidnapping her daughter. Having no gun she grabbed a frying pan and tried to fend the man off; the larger man was relatively unharmed by her blows with the frying pan and he wrestled it away from her then used it against her. Ultimately the man was able to successfully kidnap the poor girl. Had this woman actually put a couple of bullets into this guy rather than a couple of lumps on his head the whole situation would have been much different. True the possibility exists that he could have wrestled the gun from her and used it against her, but I imagine his attitude would have changed greatly facing a bullet rather than a frying pan.

This is just one example of the utility of a gun, guns are not like samarui swords they do not need to be used everytime they are pulled. Police officers pull their guns out many times a day without firing them. Why do they pull them out, to protect themselves against an unknown circumstance.

Guns are a great equalizer, most women would have no defense against a larger male attacker. My wife carried pepper spray for years, but when we visited Canada she was told to keep it in the trunk. Did she feel safer? She almost freaked out when some bum asked her for a few loonies. So the question is without guns how are the weak supposed to defend themselves against the strong who would prey on them? A few doors down from my grandmother a man broke into an elderly womans home, in the middle of the day, while she was home, and beat her and robbed her. How does my grandmother ensure that she is protected against such? Better locks?

My opionion, for what it’s worth, government should not remove citizens rights to defend themselves and their families. I am not about to sit around and hope the police arrive soon while a criminal is threatening my family, nor would I lose any sleep over killing an assailant who threatened any of their lives, although I would pray that my mere weilding the gun would cause them to flee. I doubt there would ever be a situation where an armed militia was needed in this country, but personal defense is needed by citizens every day.

More guns, less crime! Scott C.